Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tidbits and moments to remember

I am sitting here at the Orlando airport Tuesday June 3, 2008 at 7:30pm EST. Our plane has just arrived and we are waiting for the passengers to disembark so we can get on the plane and be on our way. I will be working for the next 5 days with Advantus, Corp. (Heidi Swapp, Cropper Hopper, and AMM totes) at the Great American Scrapbook Convention in Arlington, TX. I will be joining the team from the corporate office as we work the booth for the show. I promise to post pictures if I remember to take them!! :D

As I sit here eating my sandwich, waiting for them to call us to begin loading the plane, I think about the many changes I have seen in airports. I remember how you used to be able to walk your friends and family up to the gate of the plane to wave goodbye, and also be there upon their safe arrival home from their trip. In the "old days", the airlines used to feed you meals on your plane trip, too.

As I drove to the airport this evening, I was listening to the local news on the radio. One headline I heard was, "This could be the beginning of the end of the Hummer". High gas prices, ya think? On another tidbit of news they were talking about how Barak Obama is close to winning the Democratic ticket for the upcoming Presidential election. There was also speculation as to whether or not he would choose Senator Hillary Clinton as his Vice President. This is an historic event...the first time in history that a black man OR a woman or both(!)could be elected to the Oval Office! This is big news!

All this stuff is just sitting in my head as I think about today and go about my business. What the world was like, what changes I have seen through my life. I think these are the important things that we need to write about in our scrapbooks and journals. These days are the "good old days" that we will talk about to our children and grandchildren. The little tidbits of how life is changing and what our lives are like now...that's what the generations after us will be so thrilled to know...if we only will write it down.

Woudn't you treasure hand written postcards, letters and journals from your grandparents? I'd love to know the secret to my grandmother's spaghetti sauce, or how much she loved to crochet. I'd love to know why my grandparents got married and what life was like for them growing up. I think that the seemingly mundane things about our day is what is really important. Do we really record it? Or do we just let it pass us by?

I have never been very good at journaling on my scrapbook pages, but the more I think about these things I want to record the facts, the feelings and the emotions that my days hold. That is the stuff that matters...and the moments to remember.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online